December 4, 2023

Holiday Decorating Tips to Deck The Halls Safely

‘Tis the season to celebrate and enjoy family gatherings and festivities, and preparations may include decorating your home with festive lights, as well as displaying a beautiful Christmas Tree. But with so many electric wires and cords, it can be easy to forget how dangerous some of your decorations can be. The National Fire Protection Association informs that fire departments respond to over 200 home fires annually caused by Christmas trees alone. Enjoy a happy and safe holiday season by considering these helpful tips to avoid lighting and tree mishaps and fires.

Christmas Tree Safety Tips

  • Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that don’t fall off when touched.
  • If you have an artificial tree, make certain it is certified or identified by the manufacturer as fire retardant.
  • Place the tree at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles and heating vents, and make certain the tree does not block any home exit.
  • Test strings of lights for worn or broken bulb connections and cords before placing on the tree and use lights that are deemed safe for indoor use.
  • Tinsel is lovely but keep it away from your feline friends. If ingested by cats, it could lead to severe blockage and surgery.
  • Be sure to water your tree daily to prevent drying.
  • Always turn off tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
  • Once your tree begins dropping needles, it’s time to take down and discard the tree. Dried-out trees are a fire danger and should not be left inside the home or placed in your garage or against the home. Check with your local community and farms to find a recycling program for your tree.

Holiday Lights Safety Tips

  • Only use outdoor lights for outdoor decoration. Indoor and outdoor lights are not interchangeable and indoor lights are not made to be exposed to wet weather.
  • Consider using LED lights instead of incandescent lights. LED lights produce less heat and are just as bright!
  • Avoid overloading outlets. Using more than 3 strands per outlet can cause outages or sparking.
  • Never leave lights unattended and set a timer to avoid using all day. The heat from the lights can cause smoke and fire damage.
  • Once the holiday season is over, take down electrical lights, dry, and store in a safe space to prevent hazards and make them last longer.

Fire and Smoke Damage Removal Services

If you do experience fire or smoke damage due to a holiday light malfunction or tree concern, it’s important to call the fire damage restoration experts and not attempt to DIY. Using over the counter products will cause the “soot to set” leaving permanent marks and damage to your home.

ServiceMaster By Mason is available 24/7 with the professional products, equipment and expertise needed to effectively remove fire and smoke damage and malodors, and has been a leader in the restoration industry for over 33 years.

Share This Story On Your Social Media!

Email Newsletter

Subscribe to our monthly email newsletter to stay up to date with the latest news, articles and stories from ServiceMaster by Mason: