ServiceMaster by Mason provides puffback soot cleaning services in Rhode Island and Connecticut
If your home is heated by an oil furnace or burner, it could be vulnerable to a puffback. A puffback occurs when an oil burner backfires, sending soot and debris through the furnace or boiler’s exhaust system, and throughout your home. It can happen all at once, like a balloon popping, or more gradually, as if someone was holding the end of a balloon and letting the air seep out slowly. If you have a forced air system, the problem can worsen as your heating ducts can spread the soot into every corner of your home, with the same efficiency they spread heat.
If a puffback occurs at your home, soot and debris can cover every surface and range from light to very heavy. Sometimes the soot is so light and fine it appears to be ordinary dust. But this “dust” can accumulate inside heating vents and air ducts, cover ceilings, carpets, walls, or baseboards, and can even reappear hours after being cleaned. You may experience a strong oil smell that requires our professional deodorization services to fully eliminate for you.
Our puffback cleanup services include:
- Soot removal and soot cleanup
- Demolition and disposal of damaged materials
- Odor removal
- Content packout and storage
- Carpet and upholstery cleaning
- HVAC and air duct cleaning
Although there’s no guaranteed way to prevent a puffback and soot damage, annual inspection and maintenance of your oil burner or furnace can greatly reduce your risk.
If your home or business experiences a puffback, you should:
- Notify your insurance agent immediately
- Throw away all exposed food
- Call a repairman to fix the malfunctioning oil furnace
- Change the air filter on the furnace if it uses forced hot air
- Tape damp cheesecloth over returns and supply registers to capture loose soot in the air
- Call ServiceMaster By Mason to begin cleaning and deodorizing all affected areas immediately at 800-934-5869
If your home or business experiences a puffback, you should not:
- Attempt to wash wallpaper or flat-painted walls, as improper cleaning will further compound the soot residue
- Use retail cleaning solutions or soap. These will only smear and spread the soot, not fully remove it
- Try to clean carpets and upholstered furniture
- Touch items in your home. Soot on hands can easily permeate upholstery, walls and woodwork, causing additional damage
Don’t wait! Soot travels and will reappear if not immediately removed.
ServiceMaster By Mason is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you when experiencing a puffback. We’ll clean soot damage and smoke damage on all affected items and belongings, eliminate odors, and restore your property to its original state.
Please complete the Contact Us form for additional information. If you need immediate puffback cleanup services in Central & Eastern Connecticut or throughout Rhode Island, contact us at 800-934-5869. We offer emergency services, quick response time, and work with all major insurance companies. From Glastonbury to Ledyard, Connecticut, and Charlestown to Bristol, Rhode Island, we’re here to help!
|Route 6, PO Box 85
Hampton CT 06247
|12 Gavitt Avenue
Westerly, RI 02891
|Rhode Island: 401-322-3030|